Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Vancouver shows

j p niven poppycocteau@flashmail.com
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 22:17:02 -0800

Oils in Vancouver!! This is pretty much a summary of the 8+ rambling pages
of notes I wrote about various bits I remember, excuse the mess!

Thursday: I left at 7am, took the bus from Kamloops to Vancouver and got in
around lunch. Spent the day wandering around pointlessly, high point being
when I spotted Jim walking out of Pacific Centre mall. Bought CDs: Graeme
Downes, White Stripes, Super Furry Animals.

Got in line in front of the Commodore around 7:15pm. In at 8. Yay, finally
meet some Powderworkers! I am incredibly bad with names so I'm sorry if I
forgot anyone or got their name wrong (let me know so I can fix my notes!).
But from what I wrote: Dave, Rowena, Erica, Brian, Al (who later gave me a
drumstick he'd caught, thank you!!), Henry and John. Opening act Bleu was
very good, just him with his guitar and some backing bits on CD. And then...

My first Oils show, wow complete shock. After 10 years of Oils fandom I had
just about resigned myself to the thought I wouldn't ever get to see them
live. I couldn't really believe I was actually there and not just watching a
video. Even with these thoughts I still had a great, great time. Although
kept getting knocked in the head by a very annoying yobbo, well at least he
apologised about that but he wouldn't stop yelling at inappropriate times
and making an idiot of himself. Much pushing from people behind but we stood
firm. The show just flew by in a blur of images and music. The new songs are
WOW especially Golden Age and Luritja Way. Afterwards met Rob, Bones and
Jim! Consequently didn't sleep much.

Friday morning, my parents showed up. Timewasting activity ensued. Finally
line-up time approached and my dad and I headed out (mom chose to stay at
the hotel and read!?) Same gang as before, plus C-ko! Bought a shirt (the
calf one, $35). A lot more people staking out front spots tonight. Same from
Bleu but he left one song on his written setlist unplayed (maybe cos he kept
catching me looking at his list in an attempt to see how many songs left
before you-know-who)

MIDNIGHT OIL!!! Has finally sunk in that I am genuinely in The Presence Of
Greatness live in person right now. What can I say? One of my very faves
Power And The Passion both nights, the dual guitar attack a complete
classic. Could Thursday be topped? Yes. No Time For Games!! Jim really
started smiling when Pete got out his harmonica for Blue Sky Mine and later
even did a bit of rocker-style jumping around. Also [backstory: there was a
guy in front filming with a mini videocam] Pete got Bones's bass off him and
even tried playing it a bit, then Bones got the cam off the guy in front and
used it to take some footage of the rest of the band, ending with a shot of
Pete, Bones panning down until he's lying down onstage still filming. Again
it's surprising how quickly the time goes, I can hardly believe the show is
over!

Friday was my dad's first Oils concert and he was genuinely impressed
especially with everyone's energy and Rob's drumming. Usual yobbo action in
form of a guy who kept shoving to get in front, waving his hands around in
people's faces and general extreme rudeness including a nasty comment to
Pete I won't recall here. Finally he tried to push my dad right over. Dad
responded by thumping his elbow into the side of the guy's face. The shoving
stopped. My hero!

Finally met Martin (my other hero!) He was super nice (as were the rest of
the band). Got him, Pete, Rob and Jim (Bones escaped this time) to sign my
ticket stub. Rob even commented on my black (bomb design) Powderworks shirt!

Postscript: A second chance sighting Saturday morning walking around with my
parents, when we passed by Rob crossing the street near the art gallery.
There was an article about the Oils in the Georgia Straight (free paper),
don't have it with me right now but will type it up and post it soon. Drove
back home, arriving around 7pm. Checked the list for reports - none yet so
decided to type this up straight off.

The shows were truly amazing and it's been an absolute dream come true to
see my all-time fave band live (twice!!) and to meet them personally, they
are not only talented musicians but such genuinely nice people as well. As
if this wasn't enough, the Powderworkers there were so friendly and helpful
- you made this experience even more special. THANK YOU!!!

still smiling...
Julie Niven