Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Dispassionate Rants, Passionate Songs

James Warren jimcwarren@earthlink.net
Mon, 05 Nov 2001 00:10:08 -0800

> Why is Pete so on the media line on this tour.  Anyone else disappointed?
> He said one statement to the effect that we need to all back up our
> governments decisions or something.  It sounded like some homogenous, inbred
> fascist bile.

I disagree.  Here is what I saw and my opinion:

I went to 3 shows, and from the sampling that I observed, Pete's
attitude seemed to be that THE most important thing for the
world is that suffering in the world is eradicated.  He said that
maybe some good could come of this tragedy, because maybe the
US will stop ignoring suffering around the world.  He had
words against Australia's leader's gungho-ness for the war.
He did not judge whether the US should be conducting military
action or not.

Anyway, from the rants that I heard, Peter was not parroting
the media line.  He was outspoken for justice in the world,
especially for those who lack power.  In general, his rants
were minimal, but you know what?  The songs say far more than
he does in his rants!
Opening with a blistering version of Redneck Wonderland was
not a random decision.  It spoke to the racism we have seen
in the US.  And Short Memory.  It was pretty clear to me
the relevance of that song.

Pete may have opinions, but in the concerts he didn't preach.
Could he really tell us how we should feel after this crisis?
I felt that his rants seemed unplanned and spontaneous, and I
wasn't bothered by that.  Because the following words of Gary Morris sum
it up for me:

"One of the things that I have known about Midnight Oil over
the years is that their music is based on facts"  (Gary Morris from
"Black Fella/White Fella video")

We can all hear many facts (and many opinions) in their music.
And then it is up to us to live our lives and decide if we
will do something about those facts.  At that point, it doesn't
really matter what Peter thinks (unless he wins elected office
in the place that I live, which I wish could happen!)

Know your power!

-Jim