Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils Bite The Big Apple

Craig Jacobson cjake@pipeline.com
Sat, 03 Nov 2001 09:15:51 -0500

Last night's show in NYC was the most scintillating Oils gig I've yet
seen, and that includes their last five swings through town.  The crowd
was fired up, enthusiastic and loud, and the band picked up on the
energy level and ran with it.  From my vantage point, it was a Martin
Rotsey show - he was flailing at his guitar like there was no tomorrow.

The set list was similar to that of other shows.  The crowd was great
(except for the absence of the Oilman!) - really fired up, and most
people really seemed to know the songs well.  There were fewer yabbos
than at the Mercury Lounge.  Even with a very loud sound system, there
were times it sounded like the crowd was louder than the band!

The Bald One did briefly allude to the World Trade Center, saying that
after what had happened, they definitely had to come and play the show.
He spent far more time joking about Britney Spears, who is playing the
same place tonight.  There was a runway set up for her, and after
describing the runway as her hallowed ground, PG ran out to the end of
it doing his trademark dance.

I didn't get to see too many PWers, unfortunately - just Ben, and I
think I saw Melissa up front.

Unfortunately, the food menu once again did not have any krusty fries.

Can't wait for Oils Tour 2002!

- caj