Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Birch Hill Review

dlocke@agency.com dlocke@agency.com
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:24:16 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Lawton [mailto:lawton_craig@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 1:20 PM
To: dlocke@agency.com
Cc: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Birch Hill Review

Doug,

I'm a list member (craiggy@ozemail.com.au) but do not have access to my
account from NYC. Can you post this to the list for me?

I was a the Birch Hill gig as well. Waited around outside for the band.
Peter must have dashed off quickly as he was already on the bus. Spoke to
Jim, Martin, Bones and Rob but! First time too and I'm Australian. Had to
come to the US to speak to them. :-)

Jim was real nice and said that they were having a good tour seeing as it
was unannounced and all. A new song was meant to be played on the radio in
the US today (probably that live radio recording). He said next year would
be the full commercial tour and that this tour was a sort of feeler to see
how much interest there was for the band in the US. He was especially
looking forward to tonights NYC gig (so am i). He also mentioned that he
wanted to have Fuzzface re-released this year.

Rob was great too, and we talked about Cloudstreet (a novel by Tim Winton,
an aussie classic, and also made into an award winning theatre production),
and the TRIBUTE album. He said he like about half of the songs but gave
special mention to Regurgitators "Stand In Line" ("They totally re-invented
it!") and Frenzel Rhombs Dead Heart. He seems to like the gurge. I remember
him saying good things about them in the past. My brother got him to sign
one of the white stars on the aussie falg and he commented that he wouldn't
sign the Union Jack!

Martin was pretty quiet, but Bones was in fine form. He has a solo vocal
piece in one of the new songs which is sweetttttt. He has such a great
voice! I asked him about that and he said "When the boys dipped out of the
studio, I said give me a fucking go!" or something like that.

New songs sound pretty poppy to me, sort of following on from the new songs
on the Real thing, but really well put together and interesting. They all
sound very natural if that makes sense. The band plays them like they've
been playing them for years and they just fit well. I can't wait to hear the

studio versions. Golden Age was a beaut but not the best IMHO, even though
the guitar lick is well golden. One song with line "Where you gonna live?"
sounded like a Greenhouse rant but with wit and dark humour. Luritja Way
rocks and Too Much Sunshine just keeps on repeating "Too Much Sunshine" but
sounds soooo good.

Can't wait for tonight... I'm on a mission for a drum stick! :)

Craig

One other thing about the gig. Peter Garrett seemed pretty distracted from
usual, but his singing was the best I've heard live since BSM. He even hit
the high ad-lib at the end of Forgotten years perfectly. The vocals for the
whole night, from the whole band, were siblime.

Craig